A new book is available on Unity and its is called Unity 5 From Zero to Proficiency (Beginner).
Content and structure of this book
In this book, the second book in the series, you will become comfortable with scripting in Unity by creating a simple survival game.
The book includes:
- A list of the learning objectives at the start of each chapter.
- Step-by-step activities.
- Opportunities to engage in deeper learning and problem-solving skills through challenges at the end of each chapter.
- Quizzes to test your knowledge.
- Cheat-sheets (i.e., shortcuts, best practice, etc.) that you can download.
The content of each chapter is as follows:
- Chapter 2 helps you to code your first script. You will learn how to code following best coding practices, debug your code, and also avoid common errors.
- Chapter 3 gets you to improve your scripting skills, enhance your game and add more interaction. You will learn to implement a scoring system, to detect collisions, and to load new levels.
- Chapter 4 explains how you can create and update a user interface for your game (e.g., displaying images and messages onscreen) using scripting.
- Chapter 5 explains how you can polish-up your game. You will add a splash-screen, a simple inventory system, sound effects, as well as a mini-map.
- Chapter 6 explains how to add Non-Player Characters (NPCs) with Artificial Intelligence (AI). You will configure each NPC and get them to either follow the player or walk along a simple path of your choice, and also detect collision with them.
- Chapter 7 provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (e.g., scripting, audio, AI, or user interface).